Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Leaving a Legacy

This time last week, I was just receiving a call that my grandpa (Pepa) was not doing well. He had returned from the hospital the week before and was under hospice care. I took my mom what she needed to stay overnight and he was really sick. I watched as my mom and her sister took great care of him. They would not leave his side and were holding his hand and loving him with all they knew to do. The very next day he was moved to the hospice house and passed away on Wednesday morning around 10 AM.

It has been a sad time, a joyful time and reflection time this last week. I am sad that I will never get to see him again, this side of heaven. I will never get to feel his hug as he kisses me on the cheek to say hello or goodbye. I will never get to hear him speak of what building project he has going. I will never get to eat the vegetables that he harvested in his garden. I will never get to spend time with him this side of heaven ever again. As I sit here and miss him, he is rejoicing in heaven at this very moment. He is having the time of his life, free from any pain or sorrow. He is praising Jesus with all his heart, soul and mind. He has not a care in the world!

His memorial service was beautiful. The church was packed with only a handful of the many lives he had touched. As I sat there yesterday with my family, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the life my grandfather lived. Was he perfect? No, but he knew what really mattered. He was a man who truely lead his family to Jesus. He didn't only lead family, but countless others as well. He was a man who made his life count.

About 8 years ago, he became really sick and we did not know what the outcome would be then. He bounced back after being in the hospital for weeks on end and very very sick. He went home from the hospital and immediately began to work again. Did he feel great? No, but he wasn't going to let sickness stop him! He was determined. I cannot even begin to tell you all the things he accomplished during that time. It is way too many to count.

As I was in his bedroom the last night he was home, I looked in the corner and I saw his pants hanging on the coat rack with the hat he always wore. I will never get to see my grandpa wear that hat again. I loved to see him wear that hat.

But another thought came to mind:
He is no longer here. All of his "stuff" is here, but not him. He could take nothing with him to heaven, only those things that have eternal value: souls.

 I began to think about the way I live my life:
Am I making life count?
Am I living out what God has marked for me to do?
Am I bringing glory to Him through each step I take?
Am I leading my children to Christ or to more "things?"

I desire to leave a legacy that brings others to Jesus. I want others to want to know Jesus if they do not know Him after being around me. I need to live my life with the end in mind. What do I want to have accomplished and what really matters when I come to the end of my life?

My grandfather's obituary.

No comments:

Post a Comment