Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fear

What makes you fearful, afraid, terrified?
 
Deuteronomy 31:6 says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you, he will never leave you nor forsake you."
 
By nature I am not a very fearful person. But I have experienced times of fear. In studying fear, several things jumped out at me.
 
Be strong and courageous.
 
This does not say be strong and courageous when you "feel" like it or when you are having a good day. It simply said be: no if, ands or buts. No matter the situation, we are to be strong and courageous. Courageous means to be brave.
 
What is God asking me to step out and do in faith? When it requires more of God and less of me, God is normally orchestrating this!
 
Do not be afraid or terrified.
 
Afraid means filled with fear or apprehension. Terrified means to fill with terror, a state of intense fear, intimidate.
 
The Lord goes with me, He will never leave me nor forsake me.
 
So no matter what, God is ALWAYS there with me; walking hand in hand ready to guide me, comfort me, love me.
 
Forsake means to renounce or turn away entirely. A synonym is abandon.
 
God will NEVER walk away from me. I can trust Him with EVERY aspect of my life. He will lead and guide me into the unknown future and I need not fear.
 
"The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?" Psalm 27:1
 
As I moved on to the next verse, I began to think a little deeper about fear and what it does to us. Fear is a dark shadow that envelops us within ourselves. We can not see past the fear. We seem to look at all the things that could be, might be, etc.
 
What are we fearful of? Fear of rejection, misunderstanding, uncertainty, sickness, or even death? There's so many things that can get us caught in fear.
 
But this verse reassures us that "the Lord is my light and salvation." We can conquer fear by trusting Him who brings salvation. He is the only One who can dispel all fear. Many times our fear is wrapped in lies that we tell ourselves. But when God gets in the middle of it, all fear is gone. He sheds light on the situation and it is not as it seemed.

Challenge: What is it God has been whispering in your ear, but you have been ignoring because you are fearful of it? (For me it was this blog! I know, crazy. But for some reason, it scared me to death! But I have worked through this fear and I know God is going to use it for His glory!)
 
And on another note, if you do not know: The Good Morning Girls  Advent Study will be starting soon. You don't want to miss out. The Colossians study was amazing!
 

 
And today, I am linking up with  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment