Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day in the Life of Homeschoolers

It seems that our life has been busy busy lately! Of course, our school year is fully underway. We have schooled for 65 days now and are having our week off as I type. It is so refreshing, even though we still have the activities. It is nice not having to worry about "school work." Anna Grace is thankful for the break as well.

Our school year started on June 11th. We decided that we would try the "year around" approach and so far, it has worked out well. We school 6 weeks and then have a week off. Anna Grace is in first grade this year. It seems that we are struggling to pull through that 6th week since we are ready for our break, but we get there with God's help.

This is what our week typically looks like:

Monday: *Noah (our 2 1/2) is in Preschool from 8:00 to 11:00. Anna Grace and 
               I do school until he gets out at 11 am. Thankfully, we are normally 
               finished.

Tuesday: *Noah has speech from 8:30 to 9:00
              *Anna Grace and Noah have gymnastics: 9:50 to 10:35. Thankfully,
               their classes are at the same time.  
              *Home to do school.

Wednesday: *Noah Preschool 8:00 to 9:45 then goes to music class from 10:00
                   to 10:45. I only send him to school so that we can start off our 
                   day with at least half of our school work.
                   *Anna Grace takes Musikgarten classes as well. She does the
                   Musik Makers at Home class and voice. We are done with this
                   around 1:00.
                   * Finish up whatever school we did not finish earlier.
                   * Church at 6:30

Thursday: *CC (Classical Conversations) 9:15 to 1:00
                No other school work for the day. If you have not done CC before,
                you will quickly see that is enough school for one day. My brain is full
                of new information when I leave. I am TIRED from all of the learning.
                I know Anna Grace certainly is! Noah goes and stays in the nursery.
                   
Friday: * Noah Preschool from 8:00 to 11:00.
             * Anna Grace school
             * Mama: Bible Study at 9:15 and Anna Grace plays with friends.
             * We finish any school we did not get done earlier. Usually on Friday, it
             is a light load. We review new material on Friday and go over any
             areas she seems to have trouble in.

It is a lot, but we enjoy it. I get the question frequently, "How do you homeschool YOUR own kids and do all of that?" Well, number one: we were called by God to do this. He does not lead us into territory He is not willing to guide, strengthen and encourage us through. He has provided me with all I need to do this. Is it hard? YES! We have some days that are harder than others, but every thing in life is that way. If I worked outside of the home, I would have rough days there too. I would just rather have my rough days homeschooling my kids smack dab in the middle of God's will rather than running from this bigger than me task. God is our source of guidance and strength and I could not do it without Him!


               

No comments:

Post a Comment