Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Already Gone: part 2

What can I do to see that my children remain in church?

First of all, I want to make the point that I do not think that going to church makes you a christian. I do think that if you are a christian you should desire to fellowship with other believers. It is only through the cross that we are redeemed!

Number One:

I have to expose them to the things of God. This is more than taking them to church at the designated times. I have to model it before them, live it out.

 But how do I do that?

 I have to be in the Word of God allowing Him to change me and mold me into who He wants me to be. I have to read them the Word. I feel that it is something that starts from the day they are born. I am a detail person that feels there has to be meaning in everything (our kid's names have meaning: another post on that). So before we had Anna Grace we really discussed A LOT of things in how we desired to raise our family, etc. I would read my Bible out loud because they say babies can hear you talking to them in the womb. I bought a short devotion book and would read her a devotion at night. During the day, I would continue to read the Bible out loud. I have done the same with Noah. Now as I do my devotions and Bible reading, I will read out loud if they are playing around me. The Word is powerful and active and if I am reading it to myself, they do not get the benefits of the Word. I feel that I should model spending time with Jesus before them. With time, we grow into more. Anna Grace just finished reading through the book of Philippians and is now on Ephesians. We read it, talk it about and apply it. This does not count the countless other things we do. I am a children's minister! LOL. We are reading the Bible through in a year as well. We read that in the morning. So far we are doing great, we are only a few weeks behind. Yah!

Anna Grace started talking earlier than Noah. They are both very different. By the time she was 2 1/2 she knew the Lord's prayer, Psalm 23, the 10 Commandments. We also memorized various other Scriptures. We work on Scripture with Noah, but he is not SAYING it as fast. I know that it is deep in his spirit man, but he's not saying it like she did. He says some verses for us, but we still can not understand what he's saying all of the time. He's getting there. I do know that it makes a difference because he is constantly preaching and having church. I hear him a lot singing "I want You, Jesus." That make me so happy as a mother. I can not think of a song that we sing that has that in it, but he must have made up his own song. We can actually understand that.

We have to model in OUR behaviors and attitudes. We have to be sure that we are TALKING about things that glorify God. They hear and see it all. This is both good and bad! 

Our kids are normal kids no matter how much of the Bible we read to them. They struggle with the same things that everyone else struggles with. For that reason, we choose to correct our children by leading them to the Word of God. A great resource for that is the Child's Training Bible.
www.childtrainingbible.com


So, tell me what you think. What are some ways you have included the Word of God in your child's life?

Today I am linking up with Good Morning Girls.


1 comment:

  1. You are such an inspiration on being a Christian mother! I love seeing the pictures of Noah and Anna Grace reading their Bibles!

    ReplyDelete