Monday, July 16, 2012

Daughter Date Night

Wednesday night my husband and I drove to church seperately because our 2 year old was somewhat ill. We only live 2 minutes from our church and since I am the Children's Minister, I have to be there and stay for the endurance. We were not sure what was going to happen and sure enough, my husband had to leave early. Not sure what the source was, but my son woke up from his nap ILL!

So...my soon to be 6 year old rode to church with me and suggested that we go somewhere for a treat after church, "just the two of us since we have not done that lately." Of course, I agree because I cherish those moments and it seems that we do not have much one on one time any more. Before her brother, it was me and her all the time during the day. We have really tried to make it a point to do date nights with each child, but in the last month... we have not done so well.

We left church and headed to the local Burger King. That was about the only thing open in our SMALL town. We live in a SUPER small town. We order and sit down. As we get situated my daughter looks at me and says,

"Wow, this is so much fun. We need to do this again. So, what do you want to talk about?"

At that moment, I had to fight back tears. I was totally stunned by her way of conversation. We just had "girl time" a month ago, but she is growing UP WAY TOO FAST! It's like she has grown up even since last month. She is 5 and will be 6 in August. We sat there for about 30 to 40 minutes making up stories. That is one of her favorite things to do! It is as if the time just flew by. I could have sat there for hours, but it was already past bedtime.


I was going to share a video from tonight, but I could not get it to turn the right direction. So, here's a picture instead!

As I got home and started to reflect on our evening. I thought about how easy it is to get caught up in the day to day things and REALLY MISS your child. I hear her, but do I really hear her? I am thankful that I got to spend that time with her and I can not wait for our next Mommy-Daughter Date!

No comments:

Post a Comment