Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Microphone

We have an alarm system in our home and a few a weeks ago our front door flew open with the wind and set the alarm system off. It was in the middle of the day and I knew exactly what it was and that no one was breaking into our home.

It took me longer than usual to get to the keypad to punch in the code. Because it took me so long, the lady came over the speaker in our hallway to talk to me. She wanted to be sure that we were ok...and of course we were. She even had the security company call me later just to check on us.

After we finished up our little conversation in the hallway, I kept feeling like someone was listening in on us. I guess it sort of made me uneasy just knowing that someone could hear us if they chose to. I knew they are not, but it was still in the back of my mind. I kept catching myself being very careful of what I said and the kind of attitude I had with the kids. I even told the kids, "you better stop because the lady in the hall can hear you."

We had had a very stressful morning (Monday morning) and it was sort of crazy in our home at the time. I was finding myself being short with the kids and in turn they were even more irritated with me.

At the end of the day, as I reflected: I thought about how in life we are someone we are not when we are in front of people. We put on a good "show" and really live a lie. Sometimes we are super sweet to our kids in front of people when we would bite their head off at home if that were to happen.

I know! I have caught myself doing that very same thing.

Why do we do that?
Because we are human and we are tired Mamas. We are imperfect beings in need of a perfect Savior. We cannot be at our best 24/7, but we sure can rely on the Father to strengthen us and guide us. We can ask our Father to forgive us and ask our children to forgive us as well. We can go back and make things right.

I should not have told my children to stop because the lady could hear them. I should have said to stop because God can hear and He is not pleased with that. (He was not pleased with my behavior either!)

But to make it all worse, my daughter heard ME and started using MY attitude and tone.
What if I would have chosen to be patient and kind throught the stress.....

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

I am so glad we serve a God who loves us dispite our imperfections. AND that our children are usually pretty quick to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment